Thursday, September 20, 2012

Flower Mobile for Baby Girl’s Room


IMG_2740

Hey, Hey, Hey Homies!    I’ve been meaning to share with you a cute little project I did a while back for my great niece, Harper Isabella.  My lovely niece, Harper’s mommy Hannah, put together such a sweet room for Harper.  Hannah shares my love of decorating, painting and crafting, and it was so exciting for me to get to visit Harper’s bedroom to see the final reveal.    And let me just say THAT BEDDING ROCKS!  I think it’s one of the prettiest baby bedding sets I have ever seen. 

IMG_2279

The beddeing is by Pottery Barn and it's called Wildflower. Isn’t it just the cutest?    I love the coordinating flower prints as well.

IMG_0165

Harper’s room is absolutely precious and I think Hannah did a fantastic job!   Harper’s changing table has cute, bright, colorful art hanging above it which is a great "distraction" piece.  I think every changing table needs something hanging above it to act as a distraction, or to keep the baby busy, while they are getting their diaper changed, but I do think the distraction tactic works better with a moving object.  
 
For example, when I designed my son’s nursery way back when, two of his walls were log, and I painted the other two yellow.  I painted the ceiling blue with clouds, and he had blue, red, green, yellow plaid bedding.  I called it the lumberjack room.  In the lumberjack room, I hung several beanie baby birds  from the ceiling using fishing line and thumb tacks, specifically targeting the changing table with a bright red cardinal.  Now, I was just trying to design a cute nursery, but I  noticed that every time I changedmy son's diaper, he was fixated on that bird.  I would reach up and tap it, and he loved to watch the birdie fly back and forth.  I also noticed that, when I changed his diaper somewhere else, he would not keep still.  That’s when I came to the conclusion that every changing table needs a “distraction” hanging over it, whether it be a mobile or some other moving object.  So I decided to make a hanging mobile as a sort of a “Welcome to the World” gift to Harper, but I didn’t really have a plan of how I was going to make it.

IMG_2281

Sometimes just a walk though Hobby Lobby (or as I like to call it, "The Hob") can be so inspiring!  Actually, I think I get inspired EVERY time I walk through The Hob! 

I didn’t really know what I was looking for the day I went to get materials to make this hanging mobile.  I have tried in the past to make mobiles similar to the examples below, the kind where objects must be balanced so the mobile  hangs properly .....................

 



 
 



..............................and let me tell you, it ain’t easy!  

For Harper’s room, I knew I wanted to use her beautiful bedding as inspiration.   I thought about maybe covering some wooden rods with ribbon and then attaching flowers to them somehow so that they hang down as if they were falling, or maybe getting a tree branch, painting  it a color complimentary to the room and hanging flowers or maybe leaves from it (and maybe even attaching a cute little birdie as if it’s sitting on the branch), but I knew that balancing the hanging objects would be a challenge.  So, not knowing what I really wanted, I just decided to look around with an open mind. 

After looking at every silk flower The Hob had to offer, I just wasn’t feeling it.  One thing that did catch my eye though were these 6 foot long strands of gem garland I found hanging in the Wedding and Floral Department.  They were so sparkly and pretty, but a little on the expensive side at $10 per strand.  I thought about how to cut and modify the long strands, but still not having a definitive plan, I kept looking.

Then, low and behold, there it was!  (The clouds parted, the sun shone down, and the angels started singing...................Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.)  I so love it when that happens.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/small-hot-pink-metal-flower-decor-736769/

Small Hot Pink Metal Flower Decor

 

The intended purpose for the metal flower was as wall décor, which is evident by the convenient little nail/screw hole visible in the photo above.    But I thought it would coordinate perfectly with the Wildflower bedding and decided it would make the perfect base for Harper’s mobile.  By using the flower as a base, I wouldn’t have to worry about balance.  A hanging mobile doesn't have to be the balancing kind, it just has to have movement.

After finding the metal flower, I went to the bead department to see if I could find a cheaper solution than buying those long strands that I talked about earlier, and  I found a much more cost effective solution .

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/multi-shape-and-color-acrylic-stone-mix-945378/

Multi Shape & Color Acrylic Stone Mix

And each acrylic stone even has a shiny silver back which sparkles like crazy when the light hits it……..MORE BLING FOR YOUR BUCK!    Can you see the reflections of sparkle on the ceiling and wall in the photo below?


IMG_2732


The large package of beads included a nice assortment of colors and shapes, including lots of flowers -  which was perfect for this project.  I decided to make one strand of beads to hang on the tip of each metal flower pedal – 24 pedals total.  I made the strands in the center of the flower longer, used shorter strands in the next row out, and even shorter strands along the outer edge, just to make it a little more interesting and cascading.

TIP #1:   This project can become very frustrating if the strands get tangled, and they DO get tangled very easily.   To prevent this from happening while I was working, I hung the metal flower from the ceiling of my studio, and then hung each strand to a pedal.  I hung the metal flower by attaching a chain to the back (or in this case the top), then I hid the chain with ribbons.  I noticed the letters over Harper’s bed were hanging with adorable polka dot ribbon, so found similar ribbon to use on this project to give the décor a cohesive look.


IMG_2742

TIP #2: When moving, transporting or packing this mobile, I would suggest wrapping each strand with a strip of tissue paper and using a piece of tape to keep the paper affixed, just as if it were a chandelier with hanging crystals. I learned this the hard way and trust me, you don’t want to have to spend hours getting one of these babies untangled.

TIP #3: Consider the height of the ceilings and the length of the mobile. In this case, I didn’t want the mobile to be too low that it hit Hannah in the head when she was changing a diaper.

IMG_0657


This is the view that baby Harper will see when she’s looking up at it.  I think the view from under this mobile looks like a beautiful kaleidoscope. 


IMG_2739


Well, that’s all for today folks.  I hope you like my flower mobile idea.  Remember, HomeGirl thinks every diaper changing table needs a “distraction” hanging above it.

If you like this mobile idea, please feel free to share it with your friends.   I will be taking orders for similar hanging mobiles.  And while you're here, don't forget to check out the "FIND US AT" section in the right column and LET'S GET CONNECTED!  Thanks so much for your support!!! 

Hope to see you back here soon,
HomeGirl



Pin It

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Great post!! This "distraction" has turned many crying moments into happy ones instead :)

Home Girl Decor said...

I don't believe that little angel has very many crying moments - she's just too sweet for that. :-). I'm glad she likes looking at it though. I like looking at it too!! :-)

melissa said...

i LOVE the bedding! i'm on the hunt for the same exact bedding for daughter #3's nursery. i can't find it anywhere, not even ebay. where did you get it?

Home Girl Decor said...

Unfortunately, since this pattern is discontinued, it might be difficult to find an entire set. I do see that the bumper is available on eBay though. You might consider using the bumper (as an accent) with coordinating solids since the bumper pad iis the most visible part of the bedding. Good luck on your search, Melissa! I'm sure daughter #3 will love her room!! :-)