Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Closet + Organizer = LOVE


Hey Homies, it’s been a while!  I’ve been busy and I wanted to take a minute to share one of the many projects I’ve been working on lately. 

Do you hate your closet?  Well, hate no more……it’s an easy fix!!!

One of the first projects of this room remodel had to be the closet.  The closet was previously outfitted with one measly wire shelf.  Yes, ONE!  And wire shelves really, really bug me in general.    Have you ever seen the movie Mommy Dearest?  Just kidding, I’m not that bad.    :-)

The main problem with this particular wire shelf was that the hangers cannot slide all the way across the bar because of those pesky dividers, making hanging clothes, or even just looking through the clothes to find something to wear, a chore.   Another problem was that there was so much wasted space in the top of the closet.  That’s valuable real estate, baby!  Lastly, one shelf was just not enough space to hang all of the clothes that need to go into this closet.  This is what the closet looked like AFTER we went through it and picked out the stuff that no longer fit! 

IMG_3226IMG_3227







IMG_3225





















This bedroom was painted a light pink four years ago, which was perfect for a 3 year old.  The new design, however, for the now much older 7 year old calls for “Hot” pink walls, per the diva.  I did try to sway said diva from hot pink, but her mind was made up.  In the end, I really wanted to give her what SHE wanted.  It IS her room after all.  So, I figured out a way to calm the room down AND give her the hot pink she wanted, and I can’t wait to show it off at a later date.  So, don’t freak out when you see the hot pink.   Trust me, it will look great!  I hope!!!  :-)

Soooooooooooo, since I had to paint the closet anyway, and since I did not want to paint AROUND the wire shelf (although I’ll admit that I have cheated and done that before, like when I painted it light pink, but I was in a time crunch), it was the perfect time to get rid of that wire shelf and maximize the storage.  At least that was the excuse I used.

I shopped around for closet organizers and decided to go with Lowe’s Allen + Roth line seen here: 


I was originally going with another cheaper option, but after reading some not-so-flattering reviews, I decided to bite the bullet and go with the solid wood (MDF) stuff instead.   There goes the budget!!  GRRRRRR!!!  I’m confident it will save money and time in the long run though.



IMG_3234
 So after spackle.........................
IMG_3244
                       ......................................and paint









 
IMG_3314
……installing the new closet was a breeze!!! 


Before the closet went in, the old baseboard was removed.  This allowed the closet tower to sit flush against the wall.  Once the closet was installed, the beautiful new 5 inch baseboard was installed. 

The original plan was to use this closet tower for some of the toys previously stored in the bottom of the closet.  Then, I came up with another solution for the toys which I will reveal in a later post.  This shelving unit ended up being filled with  jewelry, purses, hair accessories, and additional clothing from a dresser in the room, which opened up much needed storage in other parts of the room.  It just made more sense to have all the clothing and accessories together, and all the toys together. 


The closet tower does come unassembled, but  with very easy-to-follow instructions.  The two drawers were an additional cost and also had to be assembled.  The bars can mount directly to the tower since the sides are solid and thick, but I wanted to utilize the space above the tower with a third clothing rod.  So, once the tower was in place, I screwed an 8’ melamine board to the right side of the tower.  The melamine board goes all the way to the ceiling of the closet, giving me a surface to screw the top rod to.


IMG_3313
Since there was not a stud in the side wall on the right to attach the bars to, instead of using wall anchors,  I decided to cut some scrap wood, paint it bright white to match the tower and all the other trim in the room (looks pink in photo), and attach the the bars to the wood for a stronger hold.  Chin-ups anyone?


Previously, the closet had 59 inches of wire shelf to hang clothing on.  Each of these rods is 35 inches long (I had to cut them to size), so the new closet now has 105 inches of rod to hang clothing on, almost DOUBLE the hanging space.  Since the top bar is hard to reach, it is used to store seasonal clothing.   









In case you’re wondering, there are standards for closet rod heights.  Obviously, adult clothing is longer than children’s clothing, so this needs to be taken into consideration when designing a closet.  I did push the limits just a tad on this closet, since it is a child’s room, in order to get the third rod in at the top. 

IMG_3338
IMG_3335







IMG_3334






















The little diva LOVES her new closet and it is now a pleasure to put away the clean laundry since there is so much room!  The only problem is that now she thinks we need to go shopping to fill the closet up again!!!!

Since I did go with the more expensive option, this project ended up costing just over $350.  The tower alone was $199 and the drawers were $50 each.

If you’ve been thinking about upgrading your closet, I hope this inspires you to do so!   :-)

Pin It

No comments: