Saturday, June 8, 2013

Weeping Willow Tree

Can you believe this tree was a mere stick just a few months ago?

Weeping Willow Tree

One thing I did not like about our house when we bought it is that it did not have enough trees.  The perfect setting for me is in the middle of the woods.  Yes, I’m a tree hugger!  My husband promised he would plant trees for me if we bought this place, and he did plant a few, but they can be costly and other things always seem to take priority over the budget.    And then they take so long to GROW!  Patience is NOT my virtue.
 
So last Fall, when my parents were selling the farm in Tennessee, Papaw cut a few branches about 2 ft. long off their big willow tree and gave them to me to plant in our yard.  When I got back to Ohio, I stuck them in a bucket of water until roots started sprouting at the bottom to help them survive once planted.  We dug holes, stuck them in the ground and watered them really good until Winter came.  I wasn't sure if they would survive but 3 out of 4 did!    I planted willow cuttings from the same big tree at our previous house in Kentucky but it was much easier because there was a creek running through the front yard.  I didn’t soak the branches to get the roots started or even dig a hole.  All I did was push the willow branches into the mud near the creek and they grew like crazy.   Easy Peasy!
 
I’m somewhat of a sensitive ole gal and I think it’s kind of sweet that these trees are babies of the big old weeping willow tree in the front yard of the place that I called home for most of  my life.  I like the idea that a little bit of the old farm is here with me in my suburban Ohio yard.  And you can't beat the price!
 
I’m amazed at how much this tree has grown so far this spring!    I wonder what other trees I could start from a cutting? 
 
Peace!
Pin It

No comments: